We live in a fast world today where convenience has taken over quality and chat groups have replaced face-to-face interaction.
We place a high level of importance on the things that bring us perceived happiness, growth, or health, such as how many followers one has on Instagram, spending precious time with people we don’t like and eating ‘non-foods’, such as packaged dinners, fast breakfast that claim to be ready in 30 seconds, or consuming other ‘food’ items that come in a box.
In an attempt to help you unlearn a few things about how you live your ‘every day’ I decided to create this blog post. I meet clients from all walks of life and most people are stressed, unhappy, always in a rush, and at a constant struggle with weight gain, mood imbalances, skin conditions, and other serious illnesses.
This article is about detoxification because if you can’t eliminate toxic matter out of your system, can you really be happy, healthy, or in a great mood?
Detoxification is a process that is at work constantly, so in order to have effective detoxification your body needs your help to do so. For example, your liver breaks down toxins into less toxic compounds, making them water soluble and sends them to the urinary system or the colon for elimination.
If you are not drinking enough water or consuming large amounts of pop, coffee, and alcohol then the efficiency of this specific process is diminished. On top of that, your diet, skin care and beauty products, cleaning and laundry products all affect your toxic load. With so many contributing factors to imbalance and illness it is easy to slip into high toxicity and therefore, a stressed out, overburdened liver and all other detoxification organs.
If you’ve got skin issues, weight gain, mood swings, digestive, autoimmune, or any other condition perhaps it is a sign your body needs some detox love.
My intention is not to scare you but to bring awareness so that you are informed and have the power to make informed choices and decisions when it comes to your health and the health of your family.
Here are my 10 daily detox hacks:
- Detox Your Kitchen: The kitchen is the place where you should start. First, open all your kitchen cabinets and get rid of all highly processed, sugar, and ‘non-foods’ (foods that have no nutrients like packaged and processed). If you have them in your house you will tend to consume them. Throw it all out and replace it, don’t even think about it, just do it!
- Buy Real Food: Leave those attractive packages, wrappers, and boxes on the shelves at the grocery store. Pass by them and don’t look back, instead stock up on fresh fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds, legumes, natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup, and clean protein like wild fish and antibiotic free turkey.
- Eat a Rainbow: Enjoy fruits and vegetables that are colourful, fresh, and raw or what I like to call it, ALIVE. These are high in antioxidants and enzymes, crucial for a healthy body and mind. Enjoy berries, peaches, plums, nectarines, watermelons and peppers, eggplant and carrots, all great sources of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and precious fibre needed for proper elimination.
- Detox Your Bathroom: That includes your skin care products that contain parabens, phthalates, triclosan and many more, because all these chemicals are potential endocrine disruptors, carcinogens, and may contribute to respiratory, eye, skin problems and the list goes on.
- Exfoliate: Use a loofah or a dry skin brush. It allows for exfoliation of dead cells, improve circulation, and stimulation of the lymphatic system, all important for healthy skin function including detoxification. My personal favourite is the dry skin brush.
- Drink H2O: Water is so important, I’m sure you’ve heard that before. The only reason I bring it up here, in my top 10 is because it is so true. Without water we can’t survive more than 5 days on average and that number decreases if you are physically active, stressed, or eating highly processed food. Water is in every cell of your body, about 35 trillion plus cells.
I love adding lemon and lime slices, fresh mint or basil, slices or oranges, or berries to my water.
- Detox Friends and People: Yes, I said it. If you’ve got ‘friendships’ that you are not enjoying- get rid of them. If you find yourself stuck in gossip at work which you can’t stand, remove yourself from it. If you hate your job, find another one and instead do something you love. Talk to people that challenge and inspire you to grow. Surround yourself with positive people that will add joy to your already amazing life.
- Detox From Screens: Do you find yourself watching TV the moment you get back from work, on the weekends, and all other times? If so, try to take a break and instead read a book or call a friend, go for a walk in the park or have coffee dates with an old colleague.
- Decrease Stress and Increase Positive Thoughts: It is important to feel good and think positive thoughts throughout the day. The moment you have a negative thought your brain processes the information based on the meanings typically attached to the thought. Lets put it this way, if the thought you have gets you upset, angry, irritated, or sad then you are adding toxicity into your body. Stress of any kind can trigger stress hormones that produce physiological changes from an increase in your heart rate to a decreased function of or even complete shut down of the digestive function. Studies have shown that exposure to stress especially in early childhood leads to a decline in cognitive function and permanent changes in the brain, including added toxicity (1).
- Exercise and Be Active: Movement is life, it is what we are meant to do, that is why you feel energized and in a great mood after one hour at the gym. Movement stimulates the lymphatic system which plays an important role in detoxification. Hardcore exercise is not necessary in order to help your body detoxify, so go on and do some yoga, try power walking, go on a run, or any type of activity you enjoy that will get you moving.
Do you believe you are deserve to shine like a diamond, radiating health, energy, and good vibes? Do you believe you’ve got what it takes to make a change towards better health and more happiness?
Start today and you’ll discover how amazing you are meant to feel.
Join our private Facebook Group Here!
Join me for Detox On-The-Go Hosted by The Body Talk Community!
Learn more about Detox Your Way Into Shape Program